Monday, June 21, 2010

Tomato Mushroom Soup

When I was last in Disney, I ate at a restaurant called Boma's. It is known for its wonderful soups and wide array of delicious buffet items. Due to my allergies, the chef made a tomato stew for me as none of the day's soups were safe for me. I came home and began working on recreating that soup as the tomato flavor was fabulous. It definitely beat any tomato soup I had ever tasted.

3 tomatoes
1/4 cup sauteed sliced sauteed baby portebella mushrooms
1/4 cup sauteed diced onion
1 clove minced and sauteed garlic
1/4 teaspoon of each: dried rosemary, thyme, and oregano
1 1/2 cup chicken broth (I make my own)
2 tablespoon butter
1 piece gluten free bread
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 teaspoon Sea Salt

Cut two tomatoes, skins on, into chunks. Toss these into a blender with chicken broth to puree. Dice the remaining tomato and set aside.

In a skillet, melt one tablespoon of butter. Saute onion, garlic, and mushrooms together. Onions should be translucent when done.

Pour puree mixture into a medium saucepan and set on low heat. Add diced tomato and sauteed vegetables. Add sea salt, oregano, rosemary, and thyme. Simmer for about 15 minutes. Stir in 1/2 of the Parmesan  cheese.

Melt remaining tablespoon butter in the microwave. Coat the bread with the butter on both sides. Sprinkle the remaining Parmesan cheese on top of the bread. Toast the bread on broil in the oven until golden brown and crusty (about three minutes). Remove the bread and cut into chunks.

To serve, ladle soup into bowls and top with croutons.Makes 2-4 servings depending on appetite. 

No comments:

Post a Comment