Friday, June 18, 2010

It Doesn't Need to Taste Like Cardboard

A few months ago, I was diagnosed with celiac disease. In the course of finding out about my body's reaction to anything wheat, my doctors also discovered I had allergies to soy, corn, and casein. I went from a processed food junkie to whole foods only overnight.

In addition, I was also diagnosed with stage one breast cancer. After a bit of research, I decided to cut out the preservatives in foods and any foods that had been refined. I figured while I was making a life change out of necessity, I might as well bite the bullet and go for the gusto.

The results of those decisions and the diagnoses I received have been remarkable. I am no longer plagued by seizures or arthritis. I feel healthier than I can remember in my life, and I don't eat cardboard.

My family and friends have almost all felt sympathy for me on my new diet when they learned of it. Their comments were along the lines of "Oh my, there's no flavor in those kinds of things." I have, of course, proved them wrong. There is plenty of flavor, texture, and color in my creations. Many of my friends and family now enjoy what I make when over to dinner, and they are always amazed at the variety of foods I eat.

I am not a vegetarian, nor do I want to be. I believe that we were made to eat meat. However, many of my recipes have no meat included, so these are great for those who have chosen to be vegetarian. I do not propose that my results with following this diet will result in the same differences in others. I am not a doctor. This worked for me; it's as simple as that.

I will be posting recipes, information on fats and transfats (which, by the way, are horrible), and suggestions for changing my recipes to match your needs or tastes. I invite you to enjoy food with me in my journey to a healthier, tastier array of choices. Let me know what you think of the recipes, tell me if you think something would work better, feel free to send me your recipes t try as well.

Lizzie

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful mentality and I completely agree. It does not need to taste like cardboard to be a better option for your family and your lifestyle.

    Following you from MBC.

    Kathleen
    http://www.lifewith4boys.com

    ReplyDelete