Friday, June 18, 2010

Basic All Purpose Gluten Free Flour Mix

So many dishes use flour for a base. From bread to thickened gravies, you can bet it contains flour. Because of celiac, I can't handle the normal flours available on the shelves at my local grocers. So, I realized that I could make a multitude of flour mixtures to suit my needs using safe flours. (I like pancakes, french toast, and bread, too.)

Here's a basic flour mixture to use in  your recipes as you wish. This can be substituted cup for cup in any recipe using wheat based flours. You can use a variety of flours to make this, so this recipe is not set in stone Also, feel free to make large batches, which can be kept in the refrigerator or freezer until you are ready to bake.

2 cups sorghum flour
2 1/2 cups potato starch
1 1/2 cups rice flour (sweet or regular, brown or white)
1 cup tapioca starch
1/2 cup amaranth flour
2 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons xanthum gum

Mix all ingredients in a large plastic bag. Use as you would any wheat based all purpose flour. This flour does cause some taste change in baked goods, but the flavor is not overpowering. Experiment to see how you like to use it. I've used it in breads and cakes with great results.

No comments:

Post a Comment